SJDC WALLPAPERS: FRESH WALLS 2013!
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Application deadline: April 1, 2013, midnight
The walls at the elevator banks at 2 W. 13th Street and 66 5th Avenue are ready for a makeover! These highly visible surfaces reflect Parsons’ design excellence, both within The New School and to the general public. They serve as backdrops for action and projections for innovation. The Sheila C. Johnson Design Center’s wallpaper curatorial committee (with faculty and student representation) invites your submissions.
Who can submit: Current Parsons students and full-time as well as currently teaching part-time faculty
How: The following materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in the body of ONE email by April 1, 2013, midnight.
- Your name, contact information, N#, program and degree in which you are enrolled or teaching, the name and contact information of your program director/coordinator
- If you are a student, please include a letter from a faculty sponsor who is prepared to provide support
- One high resolution pdf file of your proposed design
- One digital rendering of the proposed design composited onto a photo of the actual elevator bank you are designing for (PDF format)
- One pdf of your design laid out to scale in the architectural drawing. For elevations, please see https://sites.google.com/a/newschool.edu/sjdc-wallpaper/home. Use only 70 5th Avenue and/or 66 5th Avenue. The graphic wall labelled 2 W. 13th is not available.
- A one-page text document (maximum 500 words) with the project title, space for which this is being submitted, a brief artist statement/description of the work and an explanation of how it addresses the context and the criteria below.
The winning wallpaper designs will be produced as self-adhesive, 2D digital prints.
Criteria for Review:
- Original, legible and with maximum visual impact
- Responsive to the physical context and narrative space
- Reflect Parsons’ commitment to its urban context, global relationships, sustainability, and social change
- The surface as a public commons reflecting diversity
Selections will be made and announced by mid-April. The successful wallpaper design will be installed by the summer. Please note that finalists must be available by email to prepare final files for printing.